Sunday, June 28, 2009

Just amazing

Michael Jackson dies and draws more ink than anything for weeks. Then, in short order, both Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton show up, no doubt drawn by the rustling of money and the clicking of camera shutters. Do you reckon those two preachers ever contemplate their own sins? I been hearing from Jesse Jackson since I went to Chicago, where he originated, in 1969. A lot of the black folks I knew there didn't think too much of Jesse and said the word in their neighborhoods was that he kinda liked the boys. I haven't heard any such stories since, and a quick little Google turns up nothing.

1 comment:

Sugar Magnolia said...

It's funny you should mention that he was purportedly sweet on the boys, because something about him has always reminded me of Wayne Williams in and around Atlanta, circa 1979-1980 or so. Admittedly, I'm probably the only one that would draw those parallels....the bloated self-importance, the pompous manner that everything he has ever done is justified, just because he is WHO he is, the "sweetness" that lies below the surface.

I've never had any use for Jackson or Sharpton, and would be plum embarrassed to have me speak for my generation. Their bloviating turns my stomach, and they always manage to find a way to insert themselves into the crisis of the day. Sickening.