Monday, September 15, 2008

Econ

We got the August electric bill today ... it was ca. $450. That's a mortgage payment not a utility bill. A utility bill is $28.57 or $59.84. Shocking. We been turning off everything in the house that draws electricity ever since it came. Then herself took her little Honda CRV to town for 90,000-mile work. Another thousand bucks. I read that the SS payments will go up in Jan but Part B Medicare will mostly wipe it out. On the bright side, of course, we have those 401(k)s that replaced pensions. They're just sitting there enjoying the tremendous gains in the mighty American stock market, piling up the bucks to pay for electric bills. How'd the market do today?

1 comment:

Sugar Magnolia said...

Gracious! Ours has been running around $200 per month this summer, even going down a few bucks last month. Did I mention I LOVE LOVE LOVE our little electric co-op? There were times living in Evilopolis that I believe I almost wound up owing my first born (if I had one) to H Hell & P. Thank goodness those days are over. I can handle this kind of electric bill from GVEC. Same story when I was renting a house on the outskirts of Hallettsville a few years back with service provided by San Bernard Electric co-op. Did I mention I love my co-op? :)