Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Striking a blow for freedom

We went and voted yesterday, but without much enthusiasm. I managed to run the table, voting for Ds, Rs, Greens, and Libertarians. I think the only winning votes I cast were for county judge and precinct commissioner and, of course, one for my quirky U.S. Rep, Ron Paul. Rick Perry and his overweening ambition are starting to get on my last nerve. You can just see the little wheels grinding slowly beneath that fine head of hair, and what he's thinking is, 'I can be president of the U.S. Why not? That other dumbass Texas gov did it.'
A comment from a blog I favor:
Today a friend, who is quite well educated (Texas Law Review, published on NAFTA in 1993 and predicted lots of the related problems with NAFTA and globalized trade generally), said he heard if Rick Perry is reelected as Texas governor and wins by a double digit percentage then Perry will run on the top of the GOP ticket for President with Palin on the bottom. I laughed. Then I realized he was serious. Then I threw up in my throat just a little.

And a joke a friend sent me:
"John Boehner will be the new Speaker of the House. It is the highest
elected office ever to be reached by an Orange-American." - Olivia
Munn

I noticed that Boehner had on an orange tie today at one of the press conferences. Could this be a secret signal to the other Orange-Americans that the time to strike is near? Nobody else in any of the political mobs wears orange ties. Boehner is such a hack. On the other hand, Nancy Pelosi is really creepy, a little more sinister than a hack. I spect the establishment Rs will be a little less pleased with their Tea-Party newbies the first time the TPers scuttle some move to shovel more gummint money on Wall Street. Assuming they would actually scuttle such a move.
And from German paper, Der Spiegel, a long and carefully written article on the American Dream that you can read here. It's very even handed and written more in sorrow than schädenfreude. For a long time, we ran an admirable country sorta devoted to the well-being of its citizens.

1 comment:

Edith Ann said...

Mr. Loon--

I love it when you make me laugh out loud as you did this morning!

Agree on Perry. Perry/Palin 2012--I'm moving to Mexico. Less insanity there.

John Boehner. I love how Joy Behar calls him John Boner. Cracks me up. He obviously uses "Orange Glow" as body wash.

Thanks for the entertaining read this morning.