Saturday, July 25, 2009

Saturday night miscellany

Stuff I've noticed around and tucked back for just such an occasion as this:
From an entry on the Mexico forum on Dave's ESL Cafe: 'They said that they just felt like another number, a clog in the machine as it were.' That's an English teacher writing there, folks. Would being a clog in the machine be, literally, sabotage? Oh, hell, it's late and I'm half addled. I'll just pass to the next outrage.
From comment on a MarketWatch blog: 'I midas well not even answer them as I know already what their decision will be.' Maybe all that talk of money led to thoughts of a golden touch.
And, finally, the lede of a bit this week by Little Me, Vicad arts reporter:
When doing a review, there are many different ways to approach it. For me, I go the simple route.
How do I feel right after walking out of the theater?

Hope you didn't have any idea that this review was gonna be about anything other than that little old arts reporter [as she actually referred to herself once in print, where the public could read it] treating us to a little old puddle of self-referential drool.
I despair for the republic. All is lost. Chaos has triumphed.

1 comment:

Sugar Magnolia said...

Perhaps not so much chaos, as apathy. When one does not care enough to at least ATTEMPT to use a dictionary, or even, for heaven's sake, a spellcheck on one's computer, then one must expect to be taken to task. If one is in the business of writing, then the public must expect proficiency and accuracy at the very least from one, correct?

Put it another way: If I were to make such mistakes on a daily basis in my profession as a medical technologist, do you realize how many people I could literally kill? If I, say, transposed my numbers and instead of reporting a glucose of 72, and instead told the doctor it was 27? My, what catastrophe could ensue! Or if I gave a unit of B positive blood to a patient who was O positive, just because I didn't care enough to check my facts, or to check a patient's armband to make sure the name matched? Yet, reporters at the VicAd get away with mistakes, mishaps, and goofs every day, and rarely run a correction?

What a racket! I want a job like that!!