Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Old pics

There's something really compelling about old photographs. I think everyone feels the pull to look at the faces of people long dead and places long fallen down. There is on the wall before me a picture of three pretty girls in white dresses standing on a dock in Port Lavaca on Graduation Day, 1910. In the background is a gaff-rigged sailboat, a working boat, I'd guess. I wonder what happened to the happy girls. Got the pic at the Roseate Spoonbill Gallery in Port Lavaca, a goldmine of old pics of Calhoun County. Here is a site, Shorpy, named for a young Alabama worker in some of the photos. It's fun to look at.
When I was a little boy, my grandmother had a candy tin full of old photos. I can see it now, dark orange with a floral design on the top. A lot of the pictures were tintypes of the ancestors, and I'd give a pretty penny to have them and know who the people were with their stiff collars and nipped-in waists. I spent a lot of time sitting on Gran's livingroom floor looking at them.

No comments: