Thursday, March 13, 2008

Pain

One of the many annoying things about not dying young is the constant accretion of little pains. My wife says her knees have been bothering her for some time. Along a few months back, my left hip started hurting, then my right hip. At first it was intermittent, but it becomes more constant. I play cards sometimes with a bunch of old guys. Thirty years ago, their talk would have been of liquor, love, and fights. Now, painkillers are a popular topic around the table. Strong votes for Tylenol from the aging-sport contingent. Peine forte et dure, pain strong and severe, was a judicial sentence in the Middle Ages. Payne, Fort & Dewar would be a good law firm name. It's a pain, pain, but at least it doesn't interfere with digestion. Does make one consider relocation to a higher and drier place. My bones are happier in New Mexico than here on the coast.

No comments: