Thursday, August 30, 2007

A little hope to nurse

Sunday we went on an adventure, to see La Boheme in San Antonio. Friends who went with us are big fans of Rent, which was based on the opera. Beautiful opera, with a knock-out crowd scene and a death-bed scene that left the girls sniffling. I, myself, was merely troubled by mold that makes my eyes water. The female half of the couple said that her father maintains that he's been seeing migrating hawks moving through already, a good sign for an early fall. This has been a relatively easy summer -- just the one good hurricane scare -- and it would be pleasant to hang the fear back up on the hatrack until next year. Up north on the Plains, the hawks start gathering into big bands along the river bottoms in August, ready to beat it down to South America. It's always fun here in migration season when you're likely to see anything in the feeder or in the trees. A blessing to live in **Adrift. We just had a quick shower. It rains in Denver most summer afternoons around 5 or so, or it seemed like most afternoons. Last time I left Denver was spring of '68, but I will assume not everything has changed. Shower here cools us off a little and steams us up a lot. My goodness how I do meander.

4 comments:

The Chic Geek said...

We had fun Saturday! Have to do it again sometime. I gotta say those hawks will be my new favorite bird if they bring fall a little early this year.

Ol' Bayrat said...

Holy disappearing act Loon! Man I go on vacation a few days and you’ve done gone and joined the witness protection program. I’m glad I’ve finally discovered your new location, welcome back and to hell with USA Today, err…Vicad.

Yeagua Bottom Feeder said...

the bohunk from Hallettsville has also reported the return of the Mississippi Kites from way north of the Masonic Dixie Cup line.

The Chic Geek said...

Hey Loon, you'll be proud to know we invested in some of that fish sauce and anchovies that you recommended. Planning to do something with one of the two of them soon. Just haven't decided on what yet.