Wednesday, January 7, 2009

'Sad News'

Generally when I get the sad-news heading on an e-mail it means that another old friend has shuffled off this mortal coil. This time, though, it was an institutional friend, not shuffling off this coil, but limping toward the exit. Old-and-dear friend writes:
I just learned today that the Albq Journal will cease distribution to the northern, eastern, and southwestern parts of New Mexico on January 31st. In other words, they will still distribute to Santa Fe, Las Vegas, Gallup, and Las Cruces and places in between. No more Journal in Ft Sumner after all these years. The Trib going down cost them a lot in advertising, and recently, their largest local advertiser filled for bankruptcy and closed its doors. With that and loss of several national clients, and the cost of fuel, they no longer could afford to ship the papers.… I shall miss opening the newspaper and enjoying it, along with my coffee every morning. Something I have done as far back as I can remember. But must change with the times I suppose.

Papers no longer entertain illusions of dominating any sizeable region; now they just tuck in and aspire to dominate the counties contiguous to their own. We may have to change with the times, but we don't have to like it worth a damn.

No comments: